Friday, March 21, 2014

Why am I not in Haiti?

It's crazy to think that we've been back from Haiti for almost a week. Every time I look at the pictures or think back on the experience, the memories are so clear and it feels like yesterday. I miss Haiti so much! It's been hard to get back into the regular routine of school and normal life in Canada. Everything is so different in Canada compared to Haiti. One of the things I miss the most is the love for Jesus that the Haitians demonstrate so clearly in their lives. Often we'd be talking to someone and they'd be telling us about their life and their story, and they would randomly say, "I love Jesus so much," or "God has really blessed me". It was so inspiring to see how outspoken they were about their faith, and how their love for the Lord shines through in everything they do. We met so many beautiful people in Haiti that I will never forget.

It was so amazing to witness our whole team growing in their faith, and becoming closer and more willing to share with each other. I couldn't imagine a better team than the one we had for this trip. We supported each other and bonded really well over the week. It's strange not spending all day, every day with them.

I know that I will never be the same after my week in Haiti. I learned so much that I could never have learned if I had stayed in Canada. Experiencing a culture so different from my own reminded me that I have been blessed with so much and I should never take that for granted. I was also inspired to be more open about my faith and to live it out in my everyday life. I'm so happy that I decided to go on this trip, and so thankful to everyone who supported and prayed for me and my team along the way. Haiti will always have a special place in my heart. I can't wait to go back (hopefully next year!) and see that beautiful country again.

-Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment