Saturday, March 22, 2014

Missing Haiti

Last week at this time we about to leave Haiti, I definitely did not want to leave. Going to Haiti was such an amazing experience. I learned so much while I was there and I can’t stop thinking about it. While we were there we saw how happy the people were. Sometimes we think that they would be sad because they don’t have as much as we do, but it turns out that they are the happiest people I have ever met. They share their love for Jesus in any way they can.

A big part of the trip that stuck out to me was when we met our village champion’s grandmother. She was such a sweet lady and was so excited when we came to visit her. She knew right away that we were coming to pray with her. Before we had the chance, she told use that she wanted to pray for us first. This was the first time someone prayed for us, rather than us praying for them. She also sang us a song, and when she was done she kept repeating that it doesn't matter what skin colour we are or whether we are American, Canadian or Haitian, we all love the same God. This is something that I will never forget.

Another part that stuck out to me was the kids, they were so loving even though they had no idea who we were. They ran up to you with the biggest smile on their face and would just want to play with you, or be held by you. When we were filling up water buckets for the trees we were planting, I was carrying a bucket down the road and a little boy that I had never met before ran up to me and grabbed the other side of the handle and helped me bring the bucket to the team. This reminded me that at home we don’t always go out of our way to say hello, or help strangers, but in Haiti, whenever you pass someone they say hello and they want to help you in any way possible.

Going to Haiti was so much fun, our team was amazing and we all got along great. From the moment we got home I have been thinking about going back. If everything goes as planned, I will be going back to Haiti next year!  Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support that we have received over the past couple weeks!

-Brittany


No comments:

Post a Comment