Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Forever Changed

               This March Break has been phenomenal one that is for sure. I experienced things that I have never experienced in my life and it was life changing. Haiti is a country that is almost the complete opposite of Canada.  The culture, especially, is completely different. In their culture everyone says “hello” and “goodbye” to each other, whereas in our culture you usually don’t converse with strangers. It was very refreshing to experience that kind of culture. It is difficult trying to adjust back to the culture in Canada. Something that I really found was prominent in their culture was just how happy they were, and how much their faith came out in their everyday lives. Everyone that you met, walked by, or talked to smiled and gave you a greeting. It was hard coming back to Canada and not receiving that from people. Christianity in Haitian culture is also very easy to see. Most people that I talked to brought up Jesus in their conversation, which inspired me to do that more within my life.

Haiti is also a very beautiful country, both in its landscape and its people. Watching the sunset over the ocean every night and watching the sun rise over the mountains every morning was one of the most beautiful things I have seen. I mean I took probably about 100 pictures of just the sunrise and sunsets, I think that say something.      

This trip was definitely an experience that I will never forget. I was somewhat nervous before I went, but once I got there I just knew that I was meant to be there.  I could feel that God used me through my talents and abilities in Haiti to help the people there. Our theme of “Changing Hearts, Changing Lives” I thought was achieved well. I could see how we changed the lives and hearts of those we talked to, painted a house for, planted a tree for etc. After we had done something for them their face changed….they felt blessed. The lives and hearts of our team were also affected through this trip. It was amazing to see how everyone grew throughout the trip. I think the most changed during the trip had to be our team. I know that we came to affect the lives of people there but the most affected was our own. I know the way I live is never going to be the same. Once you physically see what things are like in a country like Haiti, your view of life changes. I can say with much confidence that I now appreciate everything I have far more now, than I did before the trip.  I am far more grateful for everything that I have been blessed with in this life, and plan to share it with those who don’t.

I have been forever changed by this trip and I know that the mission field does not end here. It continues throughout my entire life in my own community. I just want to thank everyone who prayed for our team and provided support. Please continue to pray that we are forever changed by our experiences and will continue to change the hearts and lives of people here in Canada every day.

-Grace Visser


No comments:

Post a Comment